Gratitude is the acknowledgment of someone or something doing something for you. People have long believed that what you put out into the world is what will be returned to you. Therefore, putting the needs of others first is certainly a great strategy for ensuring your long-term gratitude.
You might asking yourself, “How will putting others first increase my happiness?’ Here are six ways!
1. Develop closer relationships with others. Showing more consideration for others will naturally improve your relationships. People are more likely to reciprocate if you are kind. Even if they fail to return your generosity, you’ll be able to accept temporary disappointments more easily because your relationships will be grounded in a sincere regard for their welfare.
2. Reduce your stress levels. It’s exhausting trying to control every aspect of the world and it’s often frustrating because many things are beyond our control. Placing less importance on your own immediate gratification will help you feel more content no matter what occurs.
3. Promote a more compassionate society. By setting a good example, you may encourage others to look beyond their own needs. Your positive conduct can have a powerful impact on those around you.
4. Protect yourself from depression. Recent studies show a disturbing rise in narcissism and a corresponding increased risk of depression. Putting others first is good for your emotional health. Healthy relationships and virtuous living are likely to make you far more content than depending on others for attention and trying to accumulate material possessions.
5. Develop empathy. The world’s population is approaching 7 billion. When you understand how we share more similarities than differences, it’s easy to understand the needs of others.
6. Make every task more meaningful. Even mundane tasks can feel rewarding if you see how they benefit others. For example, think about how recycling helps to protect the planet for future generations.
The Gratitude Guru