Gratitude in the Morning
When I wake up in the morning, after I hit the alarm clock to snooze or turn it off, one of the first things I do before getting out of bed is to run through a list of things that come to me for which I am grateful. I place no importance on the order of things that come to mind, nor do I concern myself with ‘finding’ something to be grateful about. It is a Gratitude Stream of Consciousness that starts my day off right!
It is those first moments when you are awake and conscious that set the mood for the rest of the day. By starting out the day by being grateful, your whole perspective changes. Imagine the different ways you would feel about these 2 scenarios:
Scenario #1 – You wake up and immediately think:
- UGH! It is way to early and I am still exhausted!
- I hate going to work. I need to find a way out of there.
- I better pay the electric bill today, because the late notice arrived 2 days ago.
- That jalopy of mine better start today. I cannot be late again for work.
- What the!??! Why is my spouse all the way over on my side of the bed? No wonder I feel cramped this morning.
Scenario #2 – You wake up and immediately think:
- Wow! Listen to those birds singing outside. Just listen to how happy they sound singing to the new day.
- What is this? Look how cuddly my spouse is this morning sleep next to me. I am so happy and grateful that we are together.
- I can’t wait to get to work today. I am so grateful that I have a job in these times where others do not have a job. Even with the economy in tough times, I am fortunate enough to be employed!
- I am grateful for my computer that I have in my office. It is such a great time saver and helps me manage all my documents, my emails, my videos, my new book I am compiling, the other book I am writing. It allows me to blog each day. What an awesome part of my life! I am so grateful it is a Mac!
- Wow! Tonight I get to teach my computer class. It is going to be a great class and I am grateful that the students are going to show up and listen to what I have to say. This is my opportunity to make a difference in these students.
- I love my car! I cannot imagine getting another vehicle. I love the way it handles, I love the acceleration, I love my XM radio in the car, and I love cruising to work listening to my iPod.
Which way would you rather arise in the morning?
I am sometimes grateful for things that have not yet come my way. – Or –
I am grateful for the million dollars that are going to be deposited into my bank account one day.
The money is out there, I just need to get it into my account! So even if there is something that you are hoping for, or wishing for or something that you would like to get, you can still be grateful for it. You will get it in time.
The more you are grateful for what you already have, the more that will come your way. The Universe, or God, or Buddha, or Spirit, or whatever Universal Being you believe in, is rewarding you with more of what you have, but only if you are grateful for it. If you are not grateful for that which you currently possess, why would you be rewarded with more? If what you have now is not good enough for you, why should you get more?
What are your thoughts about this? Leave a comment and let me know.
sometimes i feel broke, but then i become thankful because it could be much worse, better half a loaf, than no bread